Students attend this academy at Delta Manor Education Centre every second day, on a day two, for two blocks (12 -2:50 pm). This specialty Fine Arts course is the equivalent to two full-time Fine Arts courses and will give students eight credits for each year of participation towards graduation.
Students will be provided with daily instruction that will include:
- vocal training
- theatre training
- mini lessons may include: introduction to opera history, composers, singers, and repertoire, score study, the audition process, performer health and happiness, and equity contracts and expectations
- Master Classes with professionals from within the Opera community
- Guest Instructors – singers, composers, directors, professionals in a wide variety of fields (wardrobe, makeup, stage directing, lighting etc.)
There will be opportunities to attend:
- Tours of the O’Brian Centre and backstage at the Vancouver Playhouse and Queen Elizabeth Theatre
- Vancouver Opera staging/orchestra rehearsals
- Vancouver Opera Dress Rehearsals at the Playhouse or Queen Elizabeth Theatre
- UBC Opera’s Performances
- “Live at the Met” at Richmond’s Silver City
- Other rehearsals/performances/events throughout the year
Some of these field trips will be during regular class time, while others will be outside of the school day. Students are encouraged to attend the field trips scheduled outside of regular school hours, but they are optional. We will provide busing as much as possible for all field trips.
Criteria and rubrics for this course will be developed with students and will be available soon. Participation will be the main focus of assessment.
Throughout the year, special classes (workshops/guest instructors) and field trips will be added to the calendar. Please note that some of these dates and times may change due to unforeseen circumstances. Please check back regularly to the Performance Academy Website Calendar for the latest info; as well as follow us on Facebook: /DeltaOperaAcademy and Twitter: @DeltaOperaAcad. Updates with more detailed information will be sent by email.
- Field trip: Sept. 14 – Tour of the O’Brian Centre in Vancouver (12:45–2 pm)
- Guest Voice Instructor – Eva Taveras (Sept to Dec)
- Sept 27 – “Intro to Composing” with Guest Instructor Allen Desnoyers
- Field Trip: Oct. 22 – “Opera Tales” performance at the O’Brian Centre
- “Introduction to Opera Makeup” Workshop (date TBA)
- Head shot photos to be taken
- Field trips: orchestra and staging rehearsals (dates TBA)
- Nov. 22 – Backstage Tour and Dress Rehearsal of Humperdinck’s “Hansel and Gretel” by Vancouver Opera (5:30pm) at the Vancouver Playhouse
- Wed Dec. 7 – Performance at The Genesis Theatre (7pm)
- Also planning to perform this show at the O’Brian Centre (date TBA)
- Teaching Artists from Vancouver Opera will visit and help students create and compose an opera.
- Field trip: Feb 4 – Tchaikovsky’s “Eugene Onegin” by UBC Opera Ensemble at the Chan Centre (7:30 pm)
- Field trip: Mar 10 – Massenet’s “Cendrillon” by Vancouver Opera at the O’Brian Centre (7:30-10 pm)
- April 25 – Backstage Tour and Dress Rehearsal of Verdi’s “Otello” by Vancouver Opera (5:30 pm) at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre
- Perform Academy opera at Vancouver Opera’s Festival (May 11)
- Perform Academy opera at Genesis Theatre (date TBA)
- perform Academy opera to elementary schools (dates TBA)
- Field trip: June 24 – Richard Strauss’ “Ariadne auf Naxos” by UBC Opera Ensemble at the Old Auditorium UBC (7:30 pm)